Meet and Greet Tuesday, July 15th
Before I left the US to move to Hong Kong I had signed up on Geo Ex-Pat website for foreigners who live/work in Hong Kong to meet others in the area. I was scanning the forums last week and noticed a "Ladies Night July 15th" and clicked on the link to check it out. They were planning a dinner which I thought would be a great way to meet some new people. I found out it was full and there was a waiting list, I e-mailed the creator of the link and asked if there was room for one more (38 women had signed up). On Sunday I received an e-mail saying someone had cancelled so there is room for one more was I still interested, I said heck yes sign me up!
It was so humid that day it was like having a mist following you around covering you from head to toe. I had a vendor meeting most of the day and afterwards decided to head to the pool but it was closed due to a thunderstorm (which never appeared) so I took care of a few things for work and then got ready to go out. I walked from my apartment complex to the Hung Hom ferry station (6 really long blocks) and was how should I say it besides Iwas ready to take a shower. I swear no one here sweats compared to how much I "glisten". One trick I learned is to use my umbrella when the sun is out, keeps me in the shade and somewhat cooler. I take the ferry to Wan Chai Station, walk to a hotel and catch a taxi to the Red Pepper restaurant. The group is upstairs and there are three large round tables which one is full so I sit at the table where two women are seated. I introduce myself and we chat while waiting for others to arrive. My table can seat 12 so I'm thinking where are the name tags because i do not remember names. Everyone introduces themselves as they sit down and the planning side of the brain kicks in and I start making a seating chart with every ones name and where they're from. It helps me put the names with the faces. Dinner was pre-ordered for us, spring rolls, cream cheese wanton, sizzling garlic prawns (huge shrimp in a fantastic spicy garlic sauce), orange fish (the whole fish was breaded and deep fried served with a sweet sauce poured over it), something similar to cashew chicken, green beans (steamed) with a black olive spread, fried rice, eggplant, and dessert was fried bananas and apples (more like a caramelized hard outer shell with the fruit inside and a sweet white sauce). It was all delicious. After dinner I sent my seating chart around and asked everyone to fill in their e=mail address and took their pictures. My plan was to create a spreadsheet and e-mail it out to the group. After dinner we headed down the street to a bar (can you image how it looked 30+ women walking into a bar) and had a drink to met some of the other ladies who were seated at different tables. It was a great experience and can't wait to meet up with some of my new friends. I had to head out around 11:30 pm as I had a conference call scheduled with the US at midnight to discuss a project. Since the ferry was closed I had to take a taxi back which cost me 140HK dollars ($20 US).
Thursday, July 17th
Today I have an appointment at the US Consulate to get additional pages added to my passport. It was another Hot and Humid day!!! I took a taxi over to the Hong Kong side because I wasn't sure how to get there. Once I arrived, it only took 40 minutes to add the pages and it was free. Stopped at Pacific Coffee for lunch (great place), had a BLT Panini and a carmel swirl chilled coffee, boy did that hit the spot!!! Took a taxi to the ferry station and the ferry back over to the Kowloon side and walked back to my apartment. I had to change clothes once I got home(drenched due to humidity) and headed to a factory meeting. After the meeting, took the train and shuttle back to my apartment and had to change clothes again. It is amazing how much an individual can sweat, yuck!
Alaska and Seattle Vacation--Abridged Version
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment