Friday, October 3, 2008

Hong Kong Holiday

Wednesday, October 1st was a National Holiday and a day off for me!!! Lihui & I decided to go hiking on Lamma Island. I took the ferry across the harbour to meet Lihui in Hong Kong and we waited in line to catch the ferry to Lamma which was about a 20 minute ride. The day was cooler than normal thank goodness but the air pollution was high causing the sky to be overcast. We arrived around noon and decided to have a quick bite before heading out. We ordered prawn dim sum, pork rib w/rice, and steamed starch with turnips (see photo below). I tried the steamed starch dish but had to pass on a second bite, didn't care for it (weird texture and no flavor)








The path to the hiking trail was lined with little shops selling everything from clothing to fresh seafood to souvenirs. As you can see by the photo below how large the prawns are (Lihui has her fingers in the photo) to give you an idea of the dimension. During our walk we also tried Curry Fish Balls, interesting flavor, strange texture.













The hike took us about 1.5 hours, slight incline in some areas but not too strenuous. The first photo below are fish farms around the little shops where the ferry docks to take people off the island. The other photo is at the top of the hike looking down at the China sea.










After our hike we took the ferry over to Aberdeen but just walked around didn't find anything too interesting. We jumped on a bus which took us back to Central (an area in Hong Kong) where we found a great Vietnamese restaurant and I had one of my top meals since I've been here. We ordered shredded chicken Pho which had noodles, shredded chicken, scallions, cilantro, and mint. The flavor was so good!!! We also had prawn spring rolls and for dessert peanut butter toasted bread with condensed milk poured on top. Interesting but good. Overall it was a very nice day and I had the opportunity to get to know Lihui better.